South Dakota Pheasant Hunts
South Dakota is one of the highest pheasant populated states, if not the highest. It stands a reason as to why the ringneck pheasant has been named the state bird of South Dakota. It began a little over a century ago around 1908 when the pheasants were introduced into South Dakota, and since then they flourished thus starting the state pheasant season in 1919. Because of the massive amounts of pheasants, flights get booked months and months in advance by out-of-state hunters to ensure they make it here during the next pheasant season.
We have a few different seasons in South Dakota for pheasant hunting – early (preserve land), normal, and late (preserve land). Early season begins the first part of September until around the middle of October, normal season continues until around the end of December, and late season proceeds until the end of March. These different seasons allow for a variety of hunting methods, testing skill levels, and sometimes testing toughness levels as well.
Hunting in Aberdeen, South Dakota in the fall and winter will bring various conditions, so be prepared to dress for rain, snow, or shine. When the hunt is over for the day, feel free to take a warm shower and get ready for the evening…we will take care of the birds for you. After a long day of hunting, some people like to just lay around and relax while others want to keep the fun going. Check out the lodge and see what all there is to do! All hunters are required to wear the proper hunting clothing. Please check out our what to bring section to ensure that the hunt will be a fun and memorable experience.
Hunting pheasants in South Dakota can be split into 2 different seasons. The early season, typically October – Early November. The early pheasant hunting season is a perfect time to work out the kinks and get a good feel for how the pheasants are here in South Dakota.
The temperatures normally range from the 30s on up to the 70s. It tends to get a little warm while hunting in the field so make sure to bring some water. Birds during this time of season are young and haven’t been shot at much so they are typically a little bit easier to shoot. Normally there is not too much snow to speak of which makes the hunts a little bit easier. Plan on wearing lighter clothes and waterproof boots. For new hunters in the family, this would be the perfect time to sharpen their skills and learn the process.
The second part of the season or the late season brings out the hunters who like more of a challenge and don’t mind doing a little work. Temperatures are normally pretty cold anywhere from the 40s down to below zero which allows for more snow. The birds are more mature, bunch up together and have been shot at so they are a little bit smarter this time of year. It’s fun and it’s a challenge! Plan on layering up to keep the toes and fingers warm.
A Royal Flush Hunt
The hunt will begin at 12:00 p.m. for the first week and 10:00 a.m. for the rest of the season. If you are an early riser, feel free to grab some fresh coffee, watch some t.v., or get your dog ready for the day. Sometimes the hunts last all day and sometimes they only last a couple hours, depending on how the birds are and mainly on how the shooters are. For groups with 5 or less hunters, we may combine them together depending on the availability.
With over 4,000 acres, there is plenty of land to make sure that there is a different type of hunt every day. Please remember that you are coming here to hunt, so we can not guarantee you will get your limit every day. All of this will depend on many factors such as the weather, the dogs, the pheasants, and obviously how well the hunters can shoot.
*** For those of you that are bringing dogs, we do ask that you keep them from roaming around the lodge. Males tend to mark their area which creates all kinds of problems. Females that are in heat WILL NOT BE ALLOWED for obvious reasons. We do ask that the dogs stay in the run area or in a kennel. ***
- Three days of fully guided pheasant hunting
- Four nights of lodging
- 3 pheasants per day
- Professionally trained hunting dogs
- Cleaning – packaging – freezing of all game birds
- Amazing home cooked meals
- Unlimited beverages
- Pool – Ping Pong – Darts – Satellite TV – WIFI
- Transportation to/from airport and to/from fields
- *Non-Hunting Guest – $100/night
3 Day/4 Night
Request a Call
Hunter Safety in the Fields
Safety among everything else should be everybody’s most important factor in the hunt. Hunters are encouraged to check out the South Dakota Game and Fish website for current rules, regulations and safety precautions.
- Alcohol is only permitted after the hunt is over. No alcohol will be allowed before or during the hunt.
- All hunters will be required to sign a release of liability prior to hunting.
- Hunters must wear orange outerwear (coat, vest, sweatshirt, etc.) along with orange headwear
- Hunters must wear protective eyegear such as shooting glasses or sunglasses
- Hunters must have their hunting license on them at all times which is available for purchase at most gas stations or sporting goods stores. They can also be purchased online at SDGFP
A full list of required and recommended items to bring/wear is found in our what to bring section.
Hunters that blatantly disregard the safety of other hunters, guides, or dogs will be asked to leave immediately. We want hunters to come and enjoy their hunt, but more importantly we want them to return home safely!
Rates and Booking
- A 50% deposit is required to reserve your preferred hunting dates. The rest of the deposit needs to be paid upon arrival or prior to.
- Reserve your dates early! Spaces fill up very quickly.
- Not included: License – Gratuities – 6.0% South Dakota sales tax – Ammunition
- Deposits are non-refundable, however you may be allowed to switch your dates around providing that there are openings. Sorry, but the dates have to stay within the same hunting season. If you have any concerns at all, please feel free to call us and we will do what we can to accommodate you.
It is highly recommended to purchase travel insurance, just because things happen.
Corporate Pheasant Hunts in South Dakota
Corporations can incur increasing levels of stress and tension along with the headaches of teamwork not taking place. Perhaps you are looking at building relationships with valued clients. At Royal Flush Hunting Lodge, we invite you to take some time and make some changes with your teams, groups, or corporation. Take a breather and see what we can offer your corporate getaway. We come pick you up from the airport which is only 15 minutes away whether you are flying with Delta or whether you are flying your own private jet.
Build stronger bonds while working as a team to flush some pheasants out of corn strips, cattails, food plots, shelterbelts, CRP, and sloughs. After the hunt is over for the day, don’t worry about anything as we do all the bird cleaning, packaging, and freezing. Release tension and stress by enjoying the amenities that we offer such as playing some pool, ping pong, darts, or cards at the end of the day while watching the big game in the rec room. Or just sit and relax in the lobby area with the fireplace going. WiFi is free as well for your personal or business needs. All of this can be done while enjoying the open bar.
Sometimes the best ideas, plans, and innovations come when your mind is clear and the stress level is at its minimum. Downtime is a well-needed and deserved part of everyday life which comes a lot easier away from the office. Shoot some birds, grab some beers, and relax in South Dakota.
Impress your clients, reward your staff, or just simply enjoy a company retreat to get away from the hectic lifestyles that occur. Let the staff at Royal Flush Hunting Lodge ensure that you have a memorable experience from the excitement of pheasant hunting to the amazing home cooked food.
- Meetings — For the businesses that need to have important meetings, we are more than happy to accommodate you. There is plenty of room in the lounge/game room with a big screen that can be connected to your computers. We also offer high speed internet to help you keep up to date with any type of information needed.
- Entertainment — Here at the lodge we want you to enjoy yourself and enjoy the reason you came here…to relax and have fun. We have things to do such as playing pool, ping pong, darts, cards, and listening to music. Or just relax by the fireplace and watch the game!